The Start Sailing Course introduces you to the basics of sailing. We offer this course in our fleet of J80 Sportsboats, which are stable, dry, comfortable and are sailed as part of a team. The course leads to IS Start Sailing Certification.
Start Sailing Syllabus
We follow the syllabus as laid down by Irish Sailing. The following are all integral parts to the course as we get your sailing career underway!
- Clothing – What to wear afloat and why.
- Ropework – We get you up and running with some basic knots.
- Rigging – How to put the boat together.
- Weather – What’s good to get out in and ultimately what to avoid!
- Setting the sails.
- Steering – Tacking and gybing.
- Wind Direction – how to determine where the wind is coming from.
- Upwind, downwind and sailing across the wind!
Once you’ve completed the course you can continue your sailing with Howth Yacht Club and build up some experience before undertaking your Learn To Sail 2. View more information here. (Learn to Sail 2)