The Start Sailing Course introduces you to the basics of sailing. If you’re fond of the water then our dinghy course in our fleet of Picos is for you. If you’d rather stay dry, then you should try our Keelboat course instead.
Start Sailing Syllabus
We follow the syllabus as laid down by Irish Sailing. The following are all integral parts to the course as we get your sailing career underway!
- Clothing – What to wear afloat and why.
- Ropework – We get you up and running with some basic knots.
- Rigging – How to put the boat together.
- Weather – What’s good to get out in and ultimately what to avoid!
- Setting the sails.
- Steering – Tacking and gybing.
- Wind Direction – how to determine where the wind is coming from.
- Upwind, downwind and sailing across the wind!
Once you’ve completed the course we recommend that you join Howth Yacht Club as a member and build up some experience by joining their dinghy sessions.